By all measures, talent is becoming more difficult to attract. Competition for top talent is increasing and talented individuals are becoming more selective and discerning. In order to attract and retain top talent, organizations can benefit by becoming an employer of choice.
What goes into becoming an employer of choice? How attractive is your company to talented individuals? Here is a quiz to help determine how attractive your organization may be.
1. Is your company growing and profitable?
2. Is your company a market leader?
3. Does your company have a positive reputation on Glassdoor? In talent communities?
4. Has your company won awards for being a great place to work?
5. Does your company support the community through giving back?
6. Does your company have a well-defined and publicized mission, vision and value statement?
7. Does your company have a record of promoting from within?
8. Does your compensation plan include competitive salaries plus bonus opportunities that reward performance?
9. Is your benefits plan competitive?
10. Do you have well defined and followed policies and procedures for the following: Hiring? Onboarding? Performance management? Training and development? Succession planning?
11. Do you provide mentors and coaches?
12. Do you conduct exit interviews for individuals leaving the company? Do you track turnover?
13. Do you have examples of talented individuals who have excelled in your company?
14. Does your company have a well-defined talent strategy?
15. Is your talent strategy embedded in your overall strategy?
16. Do you market your employment brand internally and externally?
17. Do you have a high performance culture?
18. Do you understand what motivates your people?
19. Do you have a positive corporate culture?
20. Does your senior management team lead your talent attraction efforts?
Few companies have the right answers to all these questions. Even if a company does, there is no guarantee that company will easily attract all the top talent it seeks. Similarly, scoring poorly on the quiz does not preclude a company from attracting top talent. However, the more of these questions you can answer positively, the better you can understand your strengths and challenges in attracting top talent. Armed with that understanding, you can plot your course toward becoming or maintaining an employer of choice status. By definition, that will make attracting and retaining top talent easier.
For help evaluating and improving your talent attraction, management and retention practices, contact Randy Samsel at email@example.com . There is no cost for an initial consultation.